Monday, May 18, 2009

Wolfram Alpha Search Engine

  The Wolfram Alpha search engine is a new method of finding information on the internet. http://www.wolframalpha.com/

  It’s a service that answers factual queries directly by computing the answer from structured data, instead of providing a list of documents or web pages that might contain the answer.  Anything from complex math, Chemistry, Financial, Science, and even just random facts.

It results are sometimes amazing and other times downright strange.  You can query anything and it will try to give you an answer rather than just a bunch of links.

Here’s a couple of cool things I tried.

-I typed in “hello” and it’s response was “ hello human”.

-I asked “ what is answer of life” and it responded “42” which is a nod to Douglas Adams.

-“Pea soup” gave me a list of ingredients, nutrition facts, and even some chemical breakdown.

-“tallest gravestone” confused it.

-“ average life expectancy of a Slovenian male” gave me answer of 73.04 years.

  I would advise anyone to play around with it and make it your first choice when searching for raw data on the web.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment